Wednesday, March 21, 2012

quit your day job, 6 months in....


SO I have been meaning to post this awhile back.
(and this funny "process" shot at school)

March is my 6th month in self-employment.
Quit my day-job back in September...
and that feels like ages ago.

And I am flabbergasted it's snuck up on me like that.

I mean, here we are, what is today? the 21st!!
AND it's 6 months in.

whoah.

I haven't posted much about this subject. Self Employment, I am learning....... is such a gray area, a double-edged sword....your best friend and your worst enemy.....and really, I am very new at it all. I guess what I am saying is that now, more than ever.....I can feel the push and pull of what running a business is like, solely on it's own, without a side-job to compensate.

Sometimes I really miss a 2-week paycheck. and a jar full of cash tips at the end of a shift. What an amazing concept, to be paid for your time, in a 2-week allotment, every two weeks, for every hour of time put in. Novel, really. And I am realizing this is not the way of running your own business. There are sacrifices, and days you work 12 hours, and days you work in your pajamas and slippers, and days you don't leave the computer screen, even though your brain is aching for a day of metal, or your body is crying for a day of skiing.

There are days you are successful, and productive. There are days you forget to eat lunch, and it's way past dinnertime. There are days where it is a glorious thing to be your own boss, because "damn, I can do anything I want to today!" and then there is that realization that no one is going to tell you what to do, that there is no list of to-do's unless YOU, of course, made that list already. There are days you just want to go back to bed, and start again the next day. And the cool thing is, you can do that if you want.
You know you SHOULDN'T, but it's at least an option.

Then, there is this realization: If I don't make anything today, and If I don't sell anything today, I might just have to go find myself some part-time work to fill in the blanks....
Right back to where I was 6 months ago.


BUT this threat I have learned to live with.
and learned to turn into a motivator.
Fire under my ass, my mom would call it.




And....really...... it sure beats the hell out of a day-job.

I love it.

amen.




"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow"

~Ralph Waldo Emerson




No comments:

Post a Comment