Tuesday, November 16, 2010

child of the earth





ooooh yay! I have been wanting to make these for some time now, and they turned out much better than I had hoped! Great little cabs that came from merlin are just the thing for these paddle-style earrings, they are shiny little grey-green stones, wild horse jasper from oregon/idaho.....funny thing....I don't have real-deal stamping tools except for the little typewriter style alphabet. So today I got creative with my tools, so that texture you see is actually the capital letter "I" all over. HAH! when you are broke, you find ways to get around fancy tools...

The back of these earrings say "A child of the earth, no more...no less". I love this statement, it's sometimes what we all need to hear. And today, it was a good meditation sitting at my bench. Saying it lifts a few invisible boulders off my shoulders. It's a good reminder that we have sometimes too many expectations of ourselves, or others pass on their own expectations, ending up with heavy weights that can drag us down and bury us.

I have always loved the poetry by Mary Oliver, and I have read this poem over and over to myself, finding it in my tattered journal from what seems like a different life, and it always gives me comfort in being small, and just plain 'ol being. It is definitely one of my favorites.

Wild Geese

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

© Mary Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment